Advice For Older Athletes, By An Older Athlete

By
June 24, 2013 on 10:20 am | In Uncategorized | 7 Comments

This post has moved and can be found here:

Advice For Older Athletes, By An Older Athlete

7 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

1. yay Karin…as a “mature” athlete myself (I have been running for 40 yrs. and “tri-ing” for 31) I do find that recap time is essential. I am still working though-so have to be careful not to overdo during the work week (I work with young special needs children which can be draining both physically and psychologically) so I make sure I get in my naps on the weekends after longer workouts and attend yoga to keep both flexible in mind and body! Keep up the great work!

Comment by cheryl — June 24, 2013 #

2. I too am a “more mature” triathlete-and wish to continue in the sport for awhile yet. I have been running for over 40 years and doing tris for over 30-so my body has seen “ups and downs” when it comes to performance and recuperation that’s for sure! I too need to do shorter/faster workouts to complete longer races as the long, slow workouts of yesteryear just tear me down. I also think incorporating other things like yoga and mountain biking (for balance) have really helped-plus it quiets my mind to be “out there” and meditating. Keep up the great work Karin! 🙂

Comment by cheryl — June 24, 2013 #

3. I love your article. You are so right. I am a USAT Coach and I did not start competing in triathlons until I was 50. As a personal fitness trainer and a tri-coach, I can tell you that you can compete at any age…you just have to take your limiters into considerations. I wish I was 25 again, but I am not, nor are my clients, so we can’t train or compete as 25-year-olds, but we CAN train and compete!!!! Thank you!!

Comment by Kandi DeCarlo — June 24, 2013 #

4. That was very encouraging.
    I just started last year at 57 y.o., and this year I have been struggling with muscle soreness when trying to push my running speed( which is still very slow). So, your article was helpful. I’m not alone.
    Just got back from doing Yoga. Wish I could improve, but maybe I should just be content that I’m trying, and “staying in the race”.
    Best of Luck

Comment by Sue Doo — June 26, 2013 #

5. I love this article. I started doing tri’s when I was 49 and I am still at it at 64. I did my first Olympic distance at 54 and as I made the turn at the 3.2 mile marker and headed to the finish line I passed a man who’s age was 74 and I remember thinking, “Wow, I can do this for another 20 years”. I am looking forward to retirement from my day job in two years. I am looking forward to the extra time to train and focus on improving. It is true that you need more time to recover from races and injuries but if you take good care of yourself you can enjoy and endure for many years to come. I might add one thing to the mix and that is a good chiropractor who has athletic trainers on staff. Monthly visits are a must to prevent injuries and improve outcomes..

Comment by Ruthie Callahan — June 27, 2013 #

6. I agree with you. I am doctor in Medicine and have 53 years old. Doing Triathlon seems 2.006 I feel grate

from Colombia,

Mauricio

Comment by Mauricio Aguirre — June 28, 2013 #

7. Nice article Karin! We have a gal in our tri club who’s 66 or 67 now and still pluggin’! I myself completed my first Ironman distance event last year at the age of 53. I’ll tell ya, I still was doing and did a good deal better than folks 10-20 years younger. I hope to keep going at this for many years to come!

Comment by Dave Miller — July 1, 2013 #